Orchestra Strings Auditions
Registration for Fall 2019 audition has been closed.
Please contact Dr. Ting at email@example.com if you have any question.
Audition for the Fall 2019 semester will be held on Tuesday August 20, 2019 at 11:00am-2:45pm (Violins) and 6:30-9:00pm (Viola, Cello, Bass). Students will be placed in Symphony Orchestra (T/H 12:00-1:15; 6:15-7:35) or Chamber Orchestra (T/H 1:30-2:45) based on audition results. Please register for the correct ensemble accordingly after the audition. The ensemble placement is final and cannot be appealed.
All students must fill up the online participation form by Thursday August 15, 2019 at 5pm. After registration closes, you will receive an email with your designated audition time by Monday August 19. Please arrive at least 20 minutes before your sign-up audition time for checking-in.
The Orchestra Strings auditions will take place during the first week of classes in the fall semester. Spring audition is only for those who:
1) didn’t participate in the previous fall semester
2) wish to audition for a different ensemble
3) wish to be considered as GTSO section principal / concertmaster
Auditions will consist of:
1. one major and one minor scale of your choice (two in total, 3-octave)
2. prepared orchestral excerpts according to the ensemble that you wish to audition for [see below]
Contact Professor Chaowen Ting (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions about these requirements. All students are encouraged to sign up for the class first and then take the audition. The audition results and seatings will be posted both on the GTSO website and the orchestra bulletin board on the first floor of the Couch Building.
Click on the link below to download the prepared piece for each instrument.
- You only need to play the sections between the brackets.
- If you would like to play in both orchestras, please prepare GTSO Excerpts only.
- If you audition for GTSO but are not admitted, you might be assigned to Chamber Orchestra according to your audition results.
- FALL SEMESTER ONLY: If you are auditioning for GTSO Concertmaster, please prepare BOTH Violin AND Concertmaster Excerpts. Principals for other sections do not require a separate audition.
GTSO Audition Materials
Chamber Orchestra Audition Materials
How to Prepare for the Orchestral Excerpts
First or all, what matters is to show that you can learn a certain passage through practice. At the audition, the most important thing is to play the right notes, with the right rhythm, in a steady tempo with correct articulations in the style of the composer/genre/era.
A few things might be helpful for your preparation:
- All the excerpts are taken from the pieces that we are performing in the following semester. You can find the complete concert schedule here. Listening to the pieces on YouTube or iTune will give you a great idea of tempo, style, etc.
- It’s always better to play everything nice and slow, rather than playing fast but sloppy, or even worse changing the tempo all the time.
- Pay attention to key signatures, key changes (if any), and accidentals.
- Metronome is your best friend when practicing. (If you don’t have one, there are a lot of free apps!) Don’t slow down because there are more notes or because the passage is difficult, and don’t speed up when you have melodies. Keep it steady.
- Once you’ve managed the basic parts—pitch and rhythm, bring it up to the performance tempo. It’s always nice to add the following to your performance: articulation, and the right style.