Marching Band Auditions
Instrumentalists click HERE for warm-ups and audition music.
Every marching band member must audition.
The audition will consist of playing:
- 3 Major Scales
- Prepared music – to include warm-ups, fight songs and music from our halftime show
Drumline and Sideline Percussion Auditions
There will be three Summer voluntary day camps May 13 (Sat), June 17 (Sat) and July 16 (Sun) from 10 AM to 5 PM. These camps are not specifically required, but are recommended so that you can learn about playing style and ensemble development in the Georgia Tech Drumline. This gives the staff an opportunity to work with you before the final auditions at the beginning of band camp in August.
Please fill out this form to indicate your attendance at these camps: Be sure that you have filled out a BAND APPLICATION prior to signing up for summer camps.
1. Read over the 2016 Information Packet
2. Fill out the band application- link above
3. Fill out the percussion audition form https://goo.gl/forms/dEvwihECSft8XLQt2
4. Download the audition material for the section you would like to audition for. The link will be provided once the drumline information form is submitted.
5. Check your e-mail regularly for information regarding registration, camps, and auditions.
Summer Percussion Camps
All students who live in the Metro area should plan on being there, and if you live outside the Metro Atlanta area and can make it, we would love to have you there. Contact Chris Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
A FEW THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- We have an unusually large number of percussionists auditioning for a limited number of physical instruments in the battery.
- The performance level of the drum line is very high. We take pride in being one of the finest college drum lines in the country.
- We will evaluate your progress from camp to camp.
- All members audition for their spot, including vets! Everyone must practice.
- We will move people around instruments to find your best potential spot on the line.
- Don’t hesitate to ask any questions between camps. The experience will be amazingly fun no matter what you play. Everyone that auditions will have the opportunity to participate in the Georgia Tech Band program either in the battery or the front ensemble and be assigned a part at Band Camp.
- If for some reason you can’t make one of the two Summer percussion camps make sure you have the prepared music ready when you get to band camp August 11th.
No Experience necessary!
When: Saturday, April 15, 9am to 7pm – see Facebook event for detailed schedule
Where: Georgia Tech Campus – Freshman Gym in Zelnak Center (adjacent to McCamish Pavillion)
What to bring:
- A water bottle
- $25 audition fee
- $50 deposit (to be paid at evening meeting if selected as a 2017 member)
What to wear:
- Form fitting black dance shorts and black top (tank style or short sleeve)
- Flesh colored body tight or tights
- Jazz shoes or sneakers
- Hair half up, half down
- Performance quality makeup (with red lipstick)
- No jewelry other than stud earrings
The weapon line spins 37.5” rifles and 39” sabres.
GTCG Video Auditions – Accepted until Sunday, May 21, 2017
If you are unable to attend auditions on April 15th, you will be allowed to submit a videotape of yourself performing on flag and any other equipment you wish to audition on. Videos will be accepted until midnight on Sunday, May 21, 2017.
Do current members have to re-audition?
Yes, all returning members must go through the audition process each season.
What type of things will I have to do for the audition?
The audition will include a dance routine, flag basics (drop spins, peggy spins, basic tosses, etc.), and a flag routine choreographed by the instructors. All skill levels are encouraged to audition!
Does the colorguard spin weapons?
Yes, the colorguard holds an optional audition for the weapon line later in the season. Your ability or interest in the weapon line will in no way affect your audition. The audition process is based solely on dance and flag. The weapon line spins 36″ rifles and 39″ sabres.
GTCG Video Auditions – Accepted until May 21, 2017
Your video should include:
Flag Basics – Drop spins, peggy spins (aka overhand spins), cones, pull/pole hits, thumb flips, and any other basic flag skills you may do at your school that would demonstrate your control/skill with the equipment
Flag Tosses – Multiple tosses, including a basic pop toss, a standard double, a parallel toss, and a basic 45 toss
Choreography – Short piece of choreography (at least 30 seconds in length) in any musical style, demonstrating understanding of body/movement underneath equipment incorporated into a musical phrase. You need to look in control of your body, your equipment and your performance quality at all times.
Weapon (optional) – 100 spins on the left and right; tossing triples, quads, 5s and higher; any other tosses or tricks that would demonstrate your control/skill; a short piece of choreography to music (at least 30 seconds in length) with same requirements as flag choreography
Attire: All black, form fitting ensemble in either capris or shorts with tights so we can see your feet and ankles.
Appearance: Hair up and out of your face, done well enough to not fall during course of video.
After we review your video, the guard staff will contact you about anything you might need to work on and notify you of your acceptance into the color guard.
Feel free to visit our audition group on Facebook! Veteran members would be happy to answer any questions or help you with your video!
Pep Band Auditions
Students must register for the course. No further audition is required if student has experience on their instrument.
Symphonic Band, Concert Band, and Orchestral Winds Auditions
The Symphonic Band, Concert Band, and Orchestral Winds auditions will take place the first Tuesday of classes each semester. The date for the Fall 2017 semester will be August 22, 2017 from 6:00-9:00 PM in Couch Building.
Winds will be required to play prepared piece(s), 3 chromatically adjacent major scales, the chromatic scale for the practical range of their instrument, and sight reading.
Click on this link to access the prepared music for each instrument:
Contact Professor Diden if you have questions about these requirements (email@example.com). You may sign up for an audition time the week before classes begin. Sign-up sheets are posted on the first floor band board in the Couch Building.
All students MUST sign up for the appropriate Concert Band, Symphonic Band or Orchestra class after auditions have been completed.
Orchestral Strings Auditions
The Orchestra Strings auditions will take place during the first week of classes in the Fall Semester. Spring audition is only for non-current players and those who wish to audition for ensemble placement. The date for the Fall 2017 semester will be Tuesday August 22, 2017 in the Couch Building. Students will be placed to Georgia Tech Symphony Orchestra (T/H 12:00-1:15; 6:15-7:35) or Chamber Strings (T/H 1:30-2:45) according to audition results.
Auditions will consist of:
1. one major and one minor scale of your choice (two in total, 3 octaves)
2. prepared orchestral excerpts
Jazz Studies Auditions
Auditions for the Jazz Studies Program will be held the first two days of classes, August 17-18, 2015, in Room 101, Couch Building. Please visit the Jazz Ensembles page for more information regarding times, requirements and all other details.