Marching Band Auditions
Instrumentalists click HERE for warm-ups and audition music.
Every marching band member must audition.
The audition will consist of playing:
- 3 Major Scales
- Prepared music – to include warm-ups, fight songs and music from our halftime show
2015 Summer Brass Camp
July 11, 2015 from 10am to 2pm in room 115 of the Couch building. All current and prospective members of the GT Marching Band are welcome.
Drumline and Sideline Percussion Auditions
There will be three highly recommended mini-camps for the entire percussion section (battery and front ensemble) on Saturday, May 23, Saturday, June 20, and Saturday July 18 from 10 AM to 5 PM. These camps are not specifically required, but are recommended so that you can learn about playing style and ensemble development in the Georgia Tech Drumline. This gives the staff an opportunity to work with you before the final auditions at the beginning of band camp in August.
Please fill out this form to indicate your attendance at these camps: Be sure that you have filled out a BAND APPLICATION prior to signing up for summer camps.
1. Read over the 2015 Information Packet- GTDL 2015 Info Packet
2. Fill out the band application- link above
3. Fill out the percussion audition form [URL: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1a7bEQ9Vf6wFPFzr2d2vgH_Eg6-BIiKmUrG1agy0H2MQ/viewform ]
4. Download the audition material for the section you would like to audition for. The link will be provided once the drumline information form is submitted.
5. Check your e-mail regularly for information regarding registration, camps, and auditions.
Summer Percussion Camps
All students who live in the Metro area should plan on being there, and if you live outside the Metro Atlanta area and can make it, we would love to have you there. Contact Chris Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
A FEW THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- We have an unusually large number of percussionists auditioning for a limited number of physical instruments in the battery.
- The performance level of the drum line is very high. We take pride in being one of the finest college drum lines in the country.
- We will evaluate your progress from camp to camp.
- All members audition for their spot, including vets! Everyone must practice.
- We will move people around instruments to find your best potential spot on the line.
- Don’t hesitate to ask any questions between camps. The experience will be amazingly fun no matter what you play. Everyone that auditions will have the opportunity to participate in the Georgia Tech Band program either in the battery or the front ensemble and be assigned a part at Band Camp.
- If for some reason you can’t make one of the two Summer percussion camps make sure you have the prepared music ready when you get to band camp August 7th.
No Experience necessary!
When: April 19 9am to 3pm –
Where: Georgia Tech- O’Keefe Gym
What should I bring?
A water bottle, lunch, and $50 deposit. Flags WILL be provided.
What should I wear?
Please wear all black athletic or dance clothing with a body tight; shorts or capris are acceptable – no ankle length pants. Hair should be in a slicked back ponytail and make-up should be performance quality. No jewelry besides stud earrings please.
Find us on Facebook at
Do current members have to re-audition?
Yes, all returning members must go through the audition process each season.
What type of things will I have to do for the audition?
The audition will include a dance routine, flag basics (drop spins, peggy spins, basic tosses, etc.), and a flag routine choreographed by the instructors. All skill levels are encouraged to audition!
Does the colorguard spin weapons?
Yes, the colorguard holds an optional audition for the weapon line later in the season. Your ability or interest in the weapon line will in no way affect your audition. The audition process is based solely on dance and flag. The weapon line spins 36″ rifles and 39″ sabres.
GTCG Video Auditions – Accepted until June 20, 2015
If you are unable to attend auditions on April 19th or any of the summer sessions (May 23, June 20, July 18) you will be allowed to submit a videotape of yourself performing on flag and any other equipment you wish to audition on. This will serve as a preliminary audition; a final placement audition will take place on the first day of band camp, August 8th.
Your video should include:
Flag Basics – Drop spins, peggy spins (aka overhand spins), cones, pull/pole hits, thumb flips, and any other basic flag skills you may do at your school that would demonstrate your control/skill with the equipment
Flag Tosses – Multiple tosses, including a basic pop toss, a standard double, a parallel toss, and a basic 45 toss
Choreography – Short piece of choreography (at least 30 seconds in length) in any musical style, demonstrating understanding of body/movement underneath equipment incorporated into a musical phrase. You need to look in control of your body, your equipment and your performance quality at all times.
Weapon (optional) – 100 spins on the left and right; tossing triples, quads, 5s and higher; any other tosses or tricks that would demonstrate your control/skill; a short piece of choreography to music (at least 30 seconds in length) with same requirements as flag choreography
Attire: All black, form fitting ensemble in either capris or shorts with tights so we can see your feet and ankles.
Appearance: Hair up and out of your face, done well enough to not fall during course of video.
After we review your video, the guard staff will contact you about anything you might need to work on and notify you of your acceptance into the color guard.
Feel free to visit our audition group on Facebook! Veteran members would be happy to answer any questions or help you with your video! https://www.facebook.com/groups/GTCGAuditions2015/
Videos should be sent to email@example.com
Deadline – June 20th, 2015
Questions about Guard auditions? Please email Georgia Tech Colorguard at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
The Color Guard will offer audition/ clinics through out the Summer. Those will take place May 23, June 20 and July 18 from 10a – 5p. Check back for locations.
GEORGIA TECH GOLDEN GIRL AUDITION
Congratulations for applying to be Georgia Tech’s new Golden Girl, the feature twirler of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket Marching Band. Once earned the position is held by one high skilled baton twirler until graduation from this prestigious university.
For more information you can follow our current Golden Girl on Facebook and on twitter @GTGoldenGirl
Preliminary Applications for The Georgia Tech Golden Girl should be postmarked by February 1st. The application materials should be as follows:
- DVD or Youtube link that includes a minimum of 4 minutes (maximum 10 minutes) of highlights from past performances and competitions that demonstrate a high level of baton twirling
- 3 letters of references from teachers, band directors or employers, etc.
- At least 1 full length photo in your twirling uniform
- At least 1 head shot photo
- Baton resume that includes awards, placements and highlights of your twirling career
- If your submission is electronic, please email the following materials as a PDF file to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please mail the following materials to:
The Georgia Tech Band Office
C/O Chris Moore & Brandy Kirschner
840 McMillan Street
Atlanta, GA 30332-0456
If a Final Audition is needed, applications for The Georgia Tech Golden Girl will be notified, and we will have a final audition on location at Georgia Tech in March after admissions have been finalized. The Final Audition will consist of the following:
- Candidate will need to demonstrate a highly skilled live twirling performance between 2:30 – 3 minutes in length
- Candidate must perform in a twirling costume
- An face to face interview will be conducted on site
- Admissions letter to Georgia Tech will need to presented at that time
Please email email@example.com with any questions you may have. We thank you for your interest in becoming Georgia Tech’s next Golden Girl.
Tech Twirler Line Auditions
There will be no formal in person audition for the Tech Twirler Line this year.
Audition Routine: Must be uploaded to youtube.com, link should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 05/31/12
· Must be between 90-120 seconds in length, Twirler’s choice of Music
· Must contain dance and bodywork
· Must include 1 & 2 baton elements (3 is welcome but not necessary)
· Must include at least 2 vertical 2 spins, and a horizontal section
· Other elements are welcome but not necessary
· Twirler must wear audition attire: Tan/nude tights, black one-piece leotard, shoes are twirlers choice.
· Props, other than batons, are not allowed
Note: Line twirlers will be judged specifically on sharpness, proper body work, drops, showmanship, physical fitness and precision.
In addition to the video, please also include in the same email the following Audition Materials:
- Headshot (low res)
- Application (in PDF or Image form)- available on the GT Band website
- Proof of health insurance (scanned)
- Letter of Acceptance to Georgia Tech or cross registered school for incoming freshmen
- Audition fee of $15.00, please submit payment via paypal to email@example.com
There are no scholarships available to the Tech Twirlers at this point.
Costs associated with Twirling are limited to attire and typically range from $300-500. Money is not due until the team is announced and can be paid in increments.
Pep Band Auditions
Students must register for the course. No further audition is required if student has experience on their instrument.
Symphonic Band, Concert Band, and Orchestral Winds Auditions
The Symphonic Band, Concert Band, and Orchestral Winds auditions will take place the first Tuesday of classes each semester. The date for the Fall 2015 semester will be August 18, 2015 from 6:00-9:00 PM in Couch Building.
Winds will be required to play a prepared piece(s), 3 chromatically adjacent major scales, the chromatic scale for the practical range of their instrument, and sight reading.
Click on this link to access the prepared music for each instrument:
Prepared Music will be available on July 15, 2015
Information for Percussion will be available soon. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Professor Diden if you have questions about these requirements (email@example.com). You may sign up for an audition time the week before classes begin. Sign-up sheets are posted on the first floor band board in the Couch Building.
All students MUST sign up for the appropriate Concert Band, Symphonic Band or Orchestra class after auditions have been completed.
Orchestral Strings Auditions
The Orchestra Strings auditions will take place during the first Tuesday of classes in the Fall Semester. Spring audition is only for non-current players and those who wish to audition for ensemble placement. The date for the Spring 2015 semester will be Tuesday January 6, 2015 between 4:30-8:30 PM in the Couch Building. Students will be placed to Georgia Tech Symphony Orchestra (GTSO) or Chamber Strings according to the audition results.
Auditions will consist of:
1. one major and one minor scale of your choice (two in total, 3 octaves)
2. prepared orchestral excerpts
Jazz Studies Program
Auditions for the Jazz Studies program will be held the first two days of classes, August 18-19, 2014, in Room 101, Couch Building. Please visit the Jazz Ensembles page for more information regarding times, requirements and all other details.